[RTTY] Re: WTB: PK232

Jerry Flanders jeflanders at comcast.net
Sun May 30 22:35:12 EDT 2004

At 19:17 5/30/04, KL0S/4 wrote:
>Bill makes a good point that the software programs do a pretty good job....I
>use a Hal ST-8000 as the "front end" for a PK-232 (a ST-6 feeds the other)
>and can watch the copy of that setup over on the Mac while simultaneously
>running the soundcard programs on the PC.  Although they're "close" the
>hardware solution consistently beats the software route (but actually not by
>too much), at least for now.

I suspect that not very many of us have actually hooked up an analog modem
as the front end to a PK232, but as one who has run a similar setup for
years, I can confirm what KL0S says. I have an ST-6 that is optimized for
60 WPM (45 baud) and an ST6000 that is optimized for 100 WPM and either can
slightly outperform stock MMTTY most of the time. I currently use them in
my SO2R setup without the PK232 as simple "Dumb Terminals"
alongside  Writelog's sound card demod in a clone window, with MMTTY
running stand-alone as a backup monitor. There are times when one of these
is better than the other two, but in general, one of the HAL ST demods will
outperform the others slightly.

Jerry W4UK