external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AU ContestNotes for CQWW RTTY now on-line)

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK at ifwtech.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 08:54:44 EDT 2004

Jerry Pixton wrote:

>Since the JPS NIR-12 filters were not available, last spring I opted
>for the MFJ 784B Audio DSP filters which I put in series from my
>radios, FT1000mp and IC756proII, to the sound cards. In spite of good
>filtering in both radios, the audio filters make a BIG difference. I
>have the audio filters set up with a 500 hz and a 250 hz position as
>well as a twin peaked position. With the hundreds of stations on 20
>meters last week end I could search in the 250 hz position and
>generally seperate almost all stations. The occassional stations that
>were sitting almost on top of each other, I just put on the bandmap and
>moved on unless they were a multi. If they were 50 hz or so apart then
>the twin peak filter was useful. I would say that the audio filters
>made a big improvement in my station.

Do the outboard DSP filters do anything that the radios' built-in DSP
filters and de-noisers cannot?

As far as I'm aware, the twin peak filter is the only feature mentioned
that the MP doesn't have at all (don't know about the Pro-II) but both
bandpass and twin-peak filtering are also available in MMTTY.

Or do the outboard DSP boxes really perform so much better than the DSP
options in the radios and in MMTTY?

--
73 from Ian G3SEK