external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AU ContestNotes for CQWW RTTY now on-line)

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Sat Oct 2 12:35:10 EDT 2004

At 01:54 PM 10/2/2004 +0100, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:
>Jerry Pixton wrote:
>>
>>Since the JPS NIR-12 filters were not available, last spring I opted for
>>the MFJ 784B Audio DSP filters which I put in series from my radios,
>>FT1000mp and IC756proII, to the sound cards. In spite of good filtering
>>in both radios, the audio filters make a BIG difference. I have the audio
>>filters set up with a 500 hz and a 250 hz position as well as a twin
>>peaked position. With the hundreds of stations on 20 meters last week end
>>I could search in the 250 hz position and generally seperate almost all
>>stations. The occassional stations that were sitting almost on top of
>>each other, I just put on the bandmap and moved on unless they were a
>>multi. If they were 50 hz or so apart then the twin peak filter was
>>useful. I would say that the audio filters made a big improvement in my
>>station.
>Do the outboard DSP filters do anything that the radios' built-in DSP
>filters and de-noisers cannot?

Absolutely!

As you recall some months ago I figured out how to get the best filtering
out of my IC756proII by using the LSB-data filters instead of the RTTY
filters. And the FT1000mp has a good set of filters.

But the outboard DSP filters have a much steeper slope that really enhances
the audio that goes to the soundboard for MMTTY, etc to work with. Don
pointed this out some time ago, and I bought one DSP unit to try, used it
for one contest and immediately bought the second unit for the other radio.
About half the time on a busy contest band, like 20 was the other day, I
use the narrowest filters from the radios (250 hz) AND the 250 hz DSP rtty
filter on the outboard unit.

BTW, I rarely use the DSP filtering in the FT1000mp - it never seems to do
anything for rtty.

Jerry, W6IHG

>As far as I'm aware, the twin peak filter is the only feature mentioned
>that the MP doesn't have at all (don't know about the Pro-II) but both
>bandpass and twin-peak filtering are also available in MMTTY.
>
>Or do the outboard DSP boxes really perform so much better than the DSP
>options in the radios and in MMTTY?
>

>--
>73 from Ian G3SEK

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC