[RTTY] Hitting the Wrong Key / Using Keyboard templates (thanks K7ZUM)

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 18 23:11:10 EDT 2004

If I had a nickel for every time I hit the wrong F key, I could retire and build
a real contest station in the South American Caribbean!

To help from hitting the wrong key, I have adapted a template created by Ken,
K7ZUM.  I print a template before each contest, cut it out and tape it above the
F-keys.  Ken's original file has an .xlr extension and may have been created in
Microsoft Works.  I adapted the template and saved it in Microsoft Excel format
in two different sizes.  One for my Dell keyboard and one for my Compaq
keyboard.  Since I replaced my Compaq with an HP, I found the Compaq template is
the correct size for my HP keyboard.  The Dell keyboard is slightly smaller than
the other keyboards (it's not an enhanced keyboard) and the keys are slightly
closer together.

I promised Ken back in December of last year that I would put the templates on
rttycontesting.com but it took the recent thread on the reflector to prompt me
to do it.

If you are interested, I have zipped up three files - all of them set up for the
ARRL RTTY Roundup - and placed them on rttycontesting.com.  The direct link to
download this zipped file is:

http://rttycontesting.com/keyboardtemplates.zip

I have also added a link to it from the Downloads page
http://rttycontesting.com/downloads/downloads.htm.

So if you have Microsoft Works or Microsoft Excel on your PC, you can open the
files, make changes to suit your needs and print them.  I have a set of
templates for each contest.

It helps, but doesn't entirely keep one from hitting the wrong key.

73, Don AA5AU