[RTTY] REAL TTY PICS and SOUNDS and MPGS

Shelby Summerville k4ww at arrl.net
Sat Oct 23 08:43:38 EDT 2004

"WB2RHM - Ben Antanaitis" <WB2RHM at arrl.net> wrote: "If your are a computer
generation RTTYer, take a look and a listen at what we 'old timers' still
reminisce and smile about when we talk of the good ole days of 'green keys'
and the smell of hot electric motors and that unmistakable sound of 'real'
TTY in operation."

With all due respect, and my memories of "green keys, etc", aren't
associated with RTTY, but our means of transmitting necessary data, between
cities, when I first started in the airline industry (1964)! None of my
"pleasant" memories of those "good ole days" are even remotely connected to
a teletype machine! My most vivid memories of those machines, are of the
repairmen needing to visit about 2-3 times a week! It seemed as if I saw
those repairmen, more often than I saw my family. I remember, when I was
first licensed, 1982, hearing one of the locals, on 2 meters, with his
machine running in the background, and just being glad that we now had
computers, at work, and I didn't have to listen to that sound for 8 hours,
each day.
My "good ole days" always start the minute I awake, and end when I go to
sleep, and hopefully, will get even better, as each day passes!

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW