[RTTY] FRIEND.INI INSINCERE AND TIME WASTER

George Johnson w1zt at comcast.net
Tue Sep 28 21:05:26 EDT 2004

Mike and all,
Just back home from the weekend at K4JA (KM4M in the contest) after a mad
drive to stay ahead of Ivan.  It didn't work as the entire drive home to MA
was in rain and fog today.
Mike, this topic recurs periodically.  I have my own personal Friend file
of people I contact often but I have also removed references to Jeff, K1AM;
Barry, W2UP; and can easily pull your call from the file.  I see both sides
of the discussion and still like to use the file as it is a personal
one.  I also use the keyboard at times but only on very special occasions
when I think it won't distract the other station.  The comments by W7LD and
Jerry, W4UK, reflect my sentiment on seeing my name on the air.  I will add
Jack to my list...  But maybe that should be "Lucky Dog".

I saw more time wasted with things like  ...KM4M KM4M KM4M de
E8$XORFKL  PSE  than the Friend file.  A request for a repeat was greeted
by the same thing.  The dots always came out fine!!  So I will take the
Friend file over that buffer any time.

Thanks to all for the activity and QSOs.  The station at K4JA is absolutely
magnificent.  Many people have helped Paul assemble it but it was Paul's
vision and hard work that made it a reality.  This will be the last contest
season for K4JA and if anyone has not had a chance to see the site, please
have a look at

http://www.k4ja.com/

It was a privilege and a pleasure to operate with the KM4M team this year.
73, George .. W1ZT