[RTTY] RTTY Growth

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Feb 13 22:06:35 EST 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 6:09 PM, Jerry Flanders wrote:
> IIRC, we were not allowed to use FSK until just a few years prior.
> RTTY didn't work well with on-off mark keying only.

What a segway... :-)

Early Saturday evening, I was tuning around 40m and found an RTTY
signal that I could not print at all because there was an equally loud
CW signal right on top of him.  A closer look on the crossed ellipse
shows the CW to be right smack on top of the space tone.

So, I switched my demodulator from mark/space detection to mark-only
detection.

6G1KK printed right through the QRM once the space tone was ignored.

As Jerry mentioned, OOK is normally not as good as FSK, but there are
still occasions when that extra detector mode comes in useful.

73
Chen, W7AY