[RTTY] RTTY Growth

Tom Osborne w7why at verizon.net
Sun Feb 13 23:15:05 EST 2005

From: "Jerry Flanders

> If we had FSK in the '50's I guess I am completely wrong about the early
> guys using On-Off Keying with the mark tone. Don't know what I was
> thinking about.
>
> Jerry W4UK

Hi Jerry

We just built a circuit to shift the frequency of the VFO by 850 cycles.  It
was hard to use a single circuit that would cover all the bands because when
you went from 80 to 40, you doubled the 80 meter vfo frequency to get to 40
and that would also double the shift, so it had to be tuned for every band.
Man, that was a LONG time ago.  When some of the early rigs started coming
out with the fixed vfo frequencies, it got a lot easier, then we went to
AFSK when sideband came along.  Ah, the good olde days :-)  73
Tom W7WHY