[RTTY] Re: Help with keeping RF out of PC (Peter Laws)

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Jan 11 09:57:45 EST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Ian White, G3SEK wrote:

> And of course you can't use SYSPREP if the motherboard just died on
> you... so the best practical way may be to reinstall. It's said to be
> good for the soul.

As long as you install GNU/Linux ...  :-)

No XP here, thanks.  W98SE works just fine for the apps I need (MMTTY,
N1MM, ARC250/ARC780, ADMS, Garmin).  For day to day use, I much prefer
GNU/Linux (just put SuSE 9.2 on the "other" radio room PC last night).

What I think I need to do is some regular ragchewing on RTTY and see if
MMTTY alone is similarly afflicted.  That would eliminate N1MM as a
variable (they're a pretty reliable combo, but they don't *always* play
nice together).

If it persists, I'll be sure to pay closer attention and try to note the
sequence of events.  I did at least jot down some freqs where it happened,
but the 5 or 6 samples I ended up with didn't show much of a pattern (I
had several more before I realized that this was a trend and not an
anomaly).

I'm really leaning towards RF being the issue and since the only things
that really changed are 1) a new mobo and 2) a tidying of the cables, it
makes sense to start there.  But I need more data first.

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9
ARRL VE
WAC (phone)