[RTTY] Re: Help with keeping RF out of PC (Peter Laws)

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Jan 11 09:45:34 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Charles Morrison wrote:

> Peter, Im assuming you replaced the motherboard but retained the harddisk
> and its information?  Is the soundcard you're using on the motherboard or
> external? What operating system are you running?

"Yes", "SB Live!", and "W98SE".

> Remember that changing a mobo is a pretty big undertaking for any OS.
> Windows will discover the new devices (chipset, sound, serial, usb, etc)

Did it all ... and for SuSE too, though most of that was automagic.  Got
the motherboard NIC and PCI NIC running as well as both framebuffers (no
built-in - one AGP, one PCI).

I did encounter a bad disk sector (my first in 14 years of PC ownership)
not long after the surgery and have had to re-install several packages.
MMTTY wasn't one initially, but I thought of that this weekend and
reinstalled during the contest with no change (N1MM Logger was reinstalled
because there's a new version every week).

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9
ARRL VE
WAC (phone)