[RTTY] Help with keeping RF out of PC

Mac McDaniel n0ob at nntc.net
Sun Jan 16 05:35:47 EST 2005

Peter,

I sent you an e-mail the other day with a link to a web page that would help with your RFI.  I was having problems myself at the time
that I sent the e-mail to you and was looking for a fix myself.  I was doing everything that Jim says to do all of his web page at:
www.radioworks.com I put two Line Isolators, one between the radio and amp, and one between the amp and tuner.  I really
don't know if they helped me or not.  Because, my problem was with my computer locking up or going crazy on me on 80, 40
in 160 meters.  It still did it after I put them on.  I had ferrite beads on some of my equipment for a longtime and they seemed to help
but, they were expensive at RadioShack at $4.95 apiece.  Then I bought some from radioworks.com at $2 apiece
and they seem to help even more.  THEN, I found this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5743889061&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I got them in the mail a couple of days ago.  They were shipped superfast by this guy.  I started clamping them on every cord on
the back of my computer, monitor, mouse and keyboard.  Two or three of them on every cord there was.  I had 100 of them and
I was on a mission.  I had about 25 ferrite beads on my radio's and knew they were working.  I was just tired of paying so much
for them.  I used about 20 on my computer and still have about 80 left.  I was on 80 and 160 this evening playing with the contest.
I didn't pay much attention to any thing because I was running low-power.  But, then Easter Island came on and I kicked the amp on.
About 1200 watts and my computer didn't do a thing.  I was shocked!  No lockups!  No windows popping up!  So, I played more.
As far as I can tell the ferrite beads took care of the problem but, I am still in the experimental stage.  I'm going to clip the rest of them
one everything in the shack.  The wife and kids better run!

Well, it's 4 a.m. in the morning and I'm shot.  I just had to pass this on to you.  I thought it was a great deal.  100 ferrite beads for
$27.  And hopefully no more RFI problems.  But I'm sure that Murphy is still running around here somewhere.  I'm going to put a
ferrite core around his neck.
.
I am in no way affiliated with radioworks.com or the guy that sells these beads.  I'm just excited!

Good luck and may we have a RFI free 2005.  hi hi

73, Mac  N0OB
.