[RTTY] FD RTTY from W3AO

Tyler Stewart k3mm at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 23:30:49 EDT 2005

I was hoping for better, but guess I was overly optimistic about band
conditions.  We also spent a lot more time on PSK than RTTY.  QRN from 10
SSB station precluded any digital there.  We never got an 80 meter digital
antenna up, which I"m sure hurt us.  However, we made good use of 40, 20,
and 15, for about 430 qsos...probably 75 percent on PSK.  Towards the end I
realized we probably should have done more switching back and forth between
modes.

We had a bit of a learning curve running PSK....I still hate it vs. RTTY,
but you gotta go with the Q's.  We ran MMTTY on RTTY and Digipan on PSK.
Both performed well, but found the NET function on Digipan didnt work very
well.  Someone would call 20 hz off and it never got there.  The parallel
decode is really cool from stonger signals.  It doesnt really seem to work
very well for weak signals unless you have them tuned in, but still cool
feature for S&P.
We had 3 radios set up with 3 laptops, plus a DOS computer CT logging
network, so I was doing a fair amount of SO3R!  Touchpads suck!  LOL!

Best DX was ZL and VK on 15 meters.
Biggest disappointment.  NO, repeat NO Europeans coming in on Sunday.

73, Ty K3MM
W3AO FD 21A...then 40A towards the end!