[RTTY] Disturbance from station on adjoining freq

DJ3IW Goetz dj3iw at t-online.de
Wed Mar 30 01:59:39 EST 2005

Hi Selva,

it depends on what filter you use normally. My standard filters for
RTTY are the two cascaded 500Hz ones. If the bands get really crowded
I switch to the 250Hz cascaded filters. These eliminate most of the
QRM. My FT1000MP is the original one, so I have no problems using
any filter combination for any mode.
So my recommendation is to go for narrow(er) filters first. The QRM
that you notice may also come from badly overdriven SSB transmitters.
Unfortunately in each and every contest we experience lots of such
signals with spurii many kilohertz up and down of the main signal,
often almost the same strength. There is nothing you can do if such a
spurious signal is right in your receivers passband. You might try
to find the offending station and tell him to reduce audio drive
(from soundcard into TX).

73 de Goetz
dj3iw at t-online.de