[RTTY] AFSK vs FSK

Barry Murrell zs2ez at axxess.co.za
Sun Nov 13 06:21:00 EST 2005

Hi All

I am new to this list (and relatively new to RTTY contesting too, having
only started on HF in February this year), and am only now getting properly
interested in RTTY contests. To date I have only dallied with RTTY, and have
had some 500 QSOs into 100 countries, all using MixW in AFSK.

I suppose this question has been discussed many times, but I would really
appreciate comments and opinions regarding the pros and cons between AFSK
and FSK.

I use a Kenwood TS-570 as my primary radio, with an Icom 706MkIIG as a
backup. The Kenwood is equipped with a 1.8kHz INRAD SSB filter. My interface
is a homebrew unit with PTT (RTS), CW keying (DTR) and FSK (TxD) connected
from a single COM port via optocouplers. CAT control is run from a second
COM port.

I would also appreciate any comments and suggestions (off-list) re software
and any other suggestions to improve my station. To date I have only used
MixW (convenient as I also do a bit of PSK31, MFSK and Olivia), but have a
number of other software packages available.

Many thanks!!

73 de Barry ZS2EZ
(EX ZR2DX / ZR6DXB)
KF26TA - Port Elizabeth,South Africa