[RTTY] AFSK vs FSK

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Sun Nov 13 08:09:17 EST 2005

Welcome to RTTY Barry!

The quick answers are:

1.  Properly adjusted AFSK RTTY is indistinguishable from FSK RTTY.
However, there are many advantages of using FSK.  A couple that come
immediately to mind are 1) You don't have to always be adjusting your sound
card settings when switching between RTTY operating and other modes and/or
other home use of the sound card, and 2) Knowing what frequency you're on is
a lot more straightforward when operating FSK.

2.  Most (eh?) agree that a superb setup involves using MMTTY software and
most 16-bit soundcards.  This setup will outperform most, if not all,
hardware modems.  If you get way into contesting, you might find a dual
decode setup with MMTTY/soundcard and a good hardware modem - if one misses
a character in an exchange, the other might get it.  Don't worry about this
if you're just starting!

3.  Finally, if you're going to contest in RTTY, do yourself a favor and
start getting used to using WriteLog ($ but worth it) or N1MM contesting
software - the advantages are almost innumerable!

4.  Check out www.aa5au.com and www.rttycontesting.com for much of what you
want to know.  Other good RTTY sites are available, of course.

Welcome to the RTTY Reflector - You are at the right place!  There are many
fine points to RTTY contesting, many details that are sure to come up with
rig configuration, operating technique, and with the software (The
contesting software have their own mail lists.)  Jump in - the waters fine!

73 - John, WA9ALS