[RTTY] AFSK splatter

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sat Oct 22 15:02:48 EDT 2005

On Oct 22, 2005, at 10:30 AM, robert wrote:
> I believe it's because the soundcard is making
> the sound using square wave, which is as we know a sum of a lot of
> other
> frequency's. where are all those harmonics of those freq.

Hi Robert,

(I have changed the Subject line so poor Charles can get a reprieve :-).

I agree with you that clipped waveforms is a potential source of
problem.

Furthermore, depending on where the clipping happens, the ALC could
be showing no reading and yet the transmitted signal can still be
splattering all over.

However, I don't think that sound cards, per se, are the problem.
"Sound cards" (D/A converter) produces quantized waveforms, but the
output from even a 8- or 10-bit Sound card is cleaner than the best
adjusted SSB transmitter. I think  that it is more likely for the
source of the problem to be in some other stage.

The PSK31 world often pass IMD readings to one another to help keep
their sub band clean.  And there is even a standalone PSK31 IMD meter
that is sold (I believe both in kit form and ready built), so you can
make your own measurements.

Unlike the RTTY world, if you are splattering in PSK31, it won't be
too long before someone reports back to you on the air.
I think us gentlemen and gentleladies of RTTY are just too polite?

One thing that AFSK users can do is to make their adjustments in
PSK31, and then switch to RTTY using precisely the same rig settings
and audio levels.  It is not that PSK31 ops are not polite, but most
of their programs are better set up to give (relative) quantitative
measurements.

73
Chen, W7AY