[RTTY] RTTY Interference to Hurricane Rita Ops

Roger Cooke roger at g3ldi.co.uk
Sat Sep 24 15:43:59 EDT 2005

Hi.

   I don't wish to enter this discussion as I am not completely familiar
with the Emergency Traffic handling
situation in the USA. However, it seems to me that a perfect medium for
transferring information exists in
the Packet Network. Had this not been left to "die", handling this sort
of traffic via the "Network" would
be a doddle. CW seems a bit archaic for this job in this modern data age!

  Not only that, but most EU stations are again unfamiliar with USA
internal bandplanning, and when operating
a RTTY contest on 40 meters, the Data channel is very narrow. Until we
have 7.000 to 7.200 as an Amateur
only band, frequencies will be in great demand. For example, here in the
UK, following a RTTY contest, there
are loads of complaints from the dedicated QRP CW stations that are
close by and get trampled on by the
contesters!

   Time to pester the authorities for more bandwidth!!!

73 de Roger, G3LDI  ( CW *and* RTTY operator by the way!! )