[RTTY] note against RTTY-contester

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Sep 25 21:14:49 EDT 2005

On Sep 25, 2005, at 4:54 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> The funny thing is that the contest activity did not wipe
> out the "whole CW band" on any band.  On 40 there was plenty
> of room between 7000 and 7030 as well as above 7060.

A quick look on QRZ.com shows that W7AIT happens to be an advanced
class ham, and therefore has no access to 7000-7025 kHz. So, from his
perspective, a good portion of the band was overrun by RTTY signals.
I witnessed a RTTY signal as low as 7023 kHz.

That said, the problem isn't RTTY contests. The problem is 40m. Lots
of US hams don't realise that only 7000-7100 kHz is shared worldwide.
7030-7050 is where RTTY belongs in regions 1 and 3 - during a DX
contest, that's where the stations will be.

This will only get better then we have more band to share. By 2009,
the band will be 7000-7200 kHz worldwide. Hopefully, by then RTTY
operations can put some distance between them and CW operations.

Ironically, CW operations were likely possible without RTTY
interference in other areas of 40m, such as 7100-7150 kHz, as well as
7050-7070 kHz.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901