[RTTY] RTTY Sweeps

Rick Mintz Rmintz at Rochester.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 14:28:30 EDT 2005

I guess that I will answer your well considered points in order....

----- Original Message -----
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol at billnjudy.com>
To: "Rick Mintz" <Rmintz at Rochester.rr.com>; <rtty at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Sweeps

>I understand that Sweeps is a 24 hour contest. But it still chews up the weekend. Realistically, another major contest can not coexist in the same 'basic' timeframe as sweeps.

A 4:00pm (ET) start does not necessarily mess up a weekend. If it does, it is only by our choice to participate. Obviously to compete with a "major" contest would be counter productive.

> I really don't see the advantage. There are already low power, antenna challenged rtty ops in the contests...  I rather see contests open to all ops, all countries. You can have certificates for all the various levels.

A small station trying to work DX certainly can be successful if the are patient and have good skills. Maybe something more suited to the smaller station will generate more activity and interest in the mode. Possibly with low dipoles and low triband antennas they might even have some advantage over larger stations that are designed for low (DX) take off angles. Opening all contests to all countries negates the interest in state QSO parties and other similiar style contests. They all become DX contests.

> The problem with a rtty sweeps is....one bit takes a hit (rhyming not intended) and the exchange is corrupted and it might go unnoticed. So there could be a lot of penalties, especially for low power, antenna challenged. Sure would hate to see a newbie get dinged because he entered what he printed, never knowing it was wrong.

A dropped bit can happen in any RTTY contest (or a dropped DIT in CW). That is part of the skill set and motivation to improve one's station. And with the long Sweeps exchange being careful is mandatory. de 001 A W1TY 89 WNY

> I'd rather see a radically different contest, with different strategies than just another same old, same old. The contests which have become fun are the ones with different exchanges, like using age, or first licensed. WAE comes to mind. That one is challenging and never boring. Makrothen for another.

There is room for all styles and we are open to suggestions. More fun... count me in!

> But, saying all that. If a RTTY Sweeps does come to pass, I'll play, even though I'd think we could have been more inventive.

Thanks for the discussion. de Rick W1TY