[RTTY] 1st International DominoEX Contest: Summary

Andrew O'Brien andrewobrie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 08:58:54 EDT 2006

Thanks to all those that participated in this experimental contest.
It was nice to see three continents represented. Certificates will be
going out via email in the next couple of weeks to the following
stations:

9H1ZZ/P
F5IHP
F6CTE
K0HW
K3UK
K5WW
KD0CA
KV9U
N3WT
NC5O
NO2T
N8RN
SM5CS
VK3BGH
W1EX
W4ISO
W4PVI
WA8SDA
W8AZV
ZL1BYZ

The amount of QSOs were understandably low since this is a new mode
for contesting.  The general feedback was that it was better than RTTY
for decoding , just as fast as RTTY, but not as easy tune in as some
would have liked.  It is not as error free under weak conditions as
Olivia but the VK and ZL  to USA QSO's were all accomplished well
despite poor conditions.

As for the contest its self, looks like I won!  Can't have that since
I am the contest scorer, too much of a conflict of interest there :>).
 I have a couple more logs to cross-check and score (I do it
manually), so will post the results in a week or two.

If you have a log you would like to submit, I will still accept them.

Below are some of the "soapbox" comments received.

Great mode, and after working ZL1BYZ at that time of the day I have to
say that DominoEx works as least as good as RTTY - if not better!

I was looking forward to this contest; unfortunately I got ill one
hour after the contest got started... Better luck next year.

73,

Gert - K5WW

WA8SDA
SOAPBOX: Did not hear much activity and my time was limited.  Used a
200mhz computer and it seemed to work OK.  It really sends quick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did only hear one station and worked him.
73 de SM5CS / Stig

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Andy,

I did one QSO in DominoEX 11 with F1SMV (Eric) at 17h30 UTC on 14075
KHz (serial number: 1 for both). So one point for me!

I did not hear anybody here (except F1SMV), perhaps because it was a
wonderful saturday, too wonderful to be behind a transceiver I
suppose.

In all cases, this contest was a good idea.

Patrick F6CTE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPERATORS: Graeme Harris VK3BGH
SOAPBOX: Thanks for organising the contest Andy. I heard a number of
DX stations in the first hour on 140810 and printed K3UK, W8AZV and
ZL1BYZ during this period but only able exchange numbers with ZL1BYZ.
Tried 3 or 4 times again during the 6 remaining daylight hours and
managed to work K3UK only. No activity on other bands heard. The
recorded times may be a few minutes in error due to sloppy manual
logging. I used the ZL DominoEX program and transferred the manual log
to MixW. Power was 30W to a 2 element quad. I don't use RTTY much so
can't really make a comparative comment. I'm keen to continue use of
this mode and suggest advertising a few fixed calling times and
frequencies including self spotting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Andy,

I congratulate you on the initiative of setting up the DominoEX contest.

Unfortunately there wasn't a peep about the contest before hand.  I only
knew about it when someone, probably yourself put a spot on the DX
cluster after it started.

Do you know how LoTW will handle DominoEX?  My logging program doesn't
have a designator for this mode but I can manually edit in the official
LoTW one if there is one.

I only made a hand full of contacts after seeing the cluster message but
will send off a log.

73 John ZL1BYZ.

:

--