[RTTY] WPX and strategy...

Scott Nichols snichols at mvosprey.com
Tue Feb 14 17:39:29 EST 2006

Hi Patrick...

This strategy of beating 20m to death worked for me because of 3 things...

1) I can point my high-band antennas at EU (55 degrees) and work the US (230
degrees) off the back of the beam with all their antennas pointed at EU (and
therefore me)...This works great because of my geographic location...I
therefore had the best of all worlds...Higher rates, loads of EU 3-pointers
and access to the 2 biggest mult locations (US and EU) at the same time...

2) My antennas are far superior on the high bands than the low bands...I can
easily better than double EU QSO rates on 20 than I can on 40/80...

3)20m is where many of the casual guys are in these contests...I worked
plenty of very low number guys...This is where I got the additional mults I
believe...

It was really an "all or nothing" gamble for me, because in order to pull
off my "beat up 20m" strategy, I had to give up most of Sat evening on the
low bands, due to time constraints...If 20 had have been dead, I would have
suffered...

Now, if I was in UA9 land or G/F/EA land, it likely would be totally
different...

I guess it's all about taking advantage of one's advantages...

Now, all that being said, my score is only 8,000 better than last year...Go
figure...

Oh the fun we have!!!

73, Scott VE1OP