[RTTY] WPX and strategy...

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Tue Feb 14 16:42:59 EST 2006

Hi once more!

Strategy is an important issue here, especially with contests that offer
higher points on lower bands, and even more so when mults count only once.
Deciding which strategy to use has also to be based on local conditions.
I noted several spots where W's were working high rates on 15m, and some
were even hitting 10m for even more opportunity.
I certainly never had any propagation on 10m, and 15m was only used a couple
of times, mostly to pick up mults from SA that I thought I may not get from
20m, and also to add a few more Q's from those W's that were easily
workable.

As Pat said, hitting 40m for those close EU mults you cannot work on 20m
(ON, PA, G etc for me) was worth doing, and not forgetting those that were
likely to be single-band as well.
I did a similar thing to Pat, in that I intentionally made more of 80/40 for
the extra points, and was surprised to work a good number of 6-pointers on
both bands. I also picked up a good percentage of mults too.
Surprisingly, I wasn't able to hear DL on 20m in this contest, but did work
an MM3!

I still feel that an extremely large number of folk sat on 20m, and hit that
band hard. I don't think even CQWW had that much band-spread of RTTY!

>From what I can see on the claimed score summaries from 3830, some folk
appear to have worked loads of Q's, but lost out big time on the mults. This
is more evident amongst the middle of the pack!

All in all, I guess it depends on local conditions, and what you aim to get
out of the contest!
I know I won't win, but I do want to improve my technique, and better my
previous scores. I mentioned to another local that I set a goal, and he said
he didn't bother, as all he wanted to do was have some fun. Who was right?
We both are of course.

You have to do the best you can, and as long as you don't wish you had done
something different afterwards, or wish you had slept one hour less, then
you can't do more!

Enjoy it! But do learn for next year!

73 all

Phil GU0SUP