[RTTY] N2KI Round Up

A.J.C. n2ki at amsat.org
Sun Jan 8 20:44:55 EST 2006

Greetings,

This years band conditions seemed to be in rather decent shape for most of
the contest; at least from Middletown NY.  But then again if I had a really
good antenna setup I bet the conditions were great.  Working off a 20 meter
ground mounted vertical does have its limitations.  Although I think I did
ok for such a setup (I miss my beam).

Anyway, now that this contest is history, some observations;

- I saw a lot of folks not in tune with the stations they were working.  My
guess is this is a product of software that auto tunes the signal.  So why
bother have to work at improving our skills at properly tuning a station in.
This sort of fits in with the whiners over the past few weeks about having
to deal with dashes.  Give me a break!  In 10 years of contesting I never
heard of anyone complain about dashes. Just to be polite I remove my dashes.
But I guess there will always be a few who feel they should not have to
actually work during a contest (no flames please).

- There were a number of stations that bothered to answer my CQ and then
either must have had to go to the bathroom or gotten a phone call.  They
just disappeared.  So what do you do?  You call CQ again and work the next
station.  Low and behold, the previous station is back, now QRM'ing the
current station I'm working.  Poor operating practice men.

- I did notice a big increase in the contesting theater.  I found stations
as low as 063 and as high as 127.  I don't recall it being this wide but I
could be incorrect.

- Overall, everyone that I worked was relatively quick with the turnaround
and had good quality sounding tones.  A couple of warblers in there but   no
biggie.

- Wow! A bunch of new calls which is always great to see; and of course all
of the diehards.  Don (AA5AU) your trailer is doing just fine (Hi!). Good to
print all of you.

ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call used: N2KI

Location:  NY

Entry Class: Single Op, Single Band

Band    QSOs   Pts   QTH    DX

80         0     0     0     0

40         0     0     0     0

20       357   357    45    47

15         0     0     0     0

10         0     0     0     0

--------------------------------------

Total    357   357    45*   47*

--------------------------------------

* - Counted only once (not once per band)

--------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Claimed Score: 32844

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v5.02

Power Output: 100

Club Participation:

"I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations

established for amateur radio in my country. My report is correct

and true to the best of my knowledge. I agree to be bound by the

decisions of the Awards Committee."

Tony - N2KI

SYSOP - N2KI DX CLUSTER

dxc.n2ki.com:7300