[RTTY] RTTY Best Practices

Ed Steeble esteeble at sc.rr.com
Mon Jan 9 15:56:06 EST 2006

After reading the comments and discussions after the RU here are some of my
observations, thoughts:

1) I will add CQ after my call when CQing. However with 90w to 100w and a
vertical, I will keep the buffer/macro with 3 CQs and 3 K3IXDs. I rearrange
the text so that one of the CQs is after my call. I am not loud enough to
get by with a "CQ de K3IXD CQ".

2) I wish stations, especially those with 2X2s and 2X1 calls would add a
space after their call. At times the print looks like it is a 2X3 or 1X3
call. Please, no discussions about which software has the best call sign
recognition algorithm.

3) FB on the RTTY good practices comments here and in Bill, W6WRT, NCJ
columns, but an article in World Radio is needed to reach the rookie RTTY
contester and also new RTTY operator. Maybe even an eHAm.net article. A lot
of the preaching/comment is to the choir. Think, "How do we reach and teach
the new RTTY operator?"

4) Re "Net On", now I understand why I couldn't sink up with several
stations. I gave up and moved on. Also the PSK31 operator moving over to
RTTY has to learn NOT to click on the waterfall! It took me a day in my
first RTTY contest to figure this out. I explained this past week to two
RTTY newcomers that they need to tune with the VFO not the mouse.

5) I was glad to see that SC wasn't rare. We have a new contest club in the
Charleston. SC area and we have been making SC less rare in the contests -
<www.NU4SC.com>  - the Low Country Contest Club.

6) I found out quickly that it pays to have a buffer with 5 "SC" in it for
the marginal condition QSOs. Likewise I have a buffer with five K3IXDs in it.

7) I too have a buffer/macro that contains "My Call is...."

Now to refine my macros/buffers again. CU in CQ WPX RTTY, maybe as NU4SC,
else K3IXD/4.

73, Ed
K3IXD