[RTTY] RTTY Best Practices

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Fri Jan 13 20:56:29 EST 2006

At 05:44 PM 1/13/2006, Bill Coleman wrote:

>On Jan 9, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Ed Steeble wrote:
>
> > 1) I will add CQ after my call when CQing.
>
>I never liked this practice in CW. Seems I would always copy the CQ
>and miss the guy's call. I also don't like the "CQ NA AA4LR NA" for
>the same reason.

I don't like it on CW either, since TEST has fewer elements than CQ.
Not so on RTTY, of course.

> > 2) I wish stations, especially those with 2X2s and 2X1 calls would
> > add a
> > space after their call. At times the print looks like it is a 2X3
> > or 1X3
> > call.
>
>Space? Why not a CR/LF?

CR/LF makes the line jump at the receiver end, unless using WriteLog.
Space accomplishes the same purpose with no line jump and therefore
is easier to capture with the mouse.

> > 6) I found out quickly that it pays to have a buffer with 5 "SC" in
> > it for
> > the marginal condition QSOs. Likewise I have a buffer with five
> > K3IXDs in it.
>
>I had a couple of guys do this to me. Waste of time. Most of the
>time, when I'd ask for a repeat, it was because of some temporal
>problem: QRM, QSB, etc.
>
>Just send the exchange again. If I didn't get it, I'll ask for
>another repeat. At some point, you just have too much redundancy.

Send the exchange again? Now that's a waste of time. He already has
your call, his call, "DE", "599" and everything else EXCEPT "SC". So
why send all that other stuff? Send just the part he needs!

> > 7) I too have a buffer/macro that contains "My Call is...."
>
>You don't usually need this one if you are calling CQ (!).

Yes, you do. Many times I have called CQ, the other guy busts my call
and can't seem to get it right. Sending "MY CALL IS W6WRT W6WRT
W6WRT" seems to get his attention better than just the call alone.

Can't remember when I've disagreed with so many items in such a short post. :-)

Bill, W6WRT