[RTTY] Tips for contesting...

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 30 10:46:30 EST 2006

Dave NK7Z/NNN0RDO wrote:

"So just what do you guys do to get the high Q rate?  I currently run a
vertical, and a KW for equipment, and can not even come close to the rates
you are getting..."

You should be working plenty of guys with that setup.  I typically RTTY contest with 100W, and nothing more than single-element antennas here.

The secret is to RUN.  Sit on a (relatively) clear frequency and call CQ.  You are loud enough, and you will get answers.

The hard part is making the psychological jump from being busy all the time (tuning around, calling guys, etc.) to calling CQ and *not* feeling busy all of the time (lots of CQs go unanswered).  The former is an inefficient use of time.  That's why one seems to do more work for less return than by calling CQ.  The way to fill this "not busy" time of course is to add a second radio which you can tune around and look for people you have not worked, WHILE still maintaining a run (CQ) frequency.

But I'm not recommending this for you at this stage.  Just make a commitment to call CQ more.  Lots more.  I have lots of problems with this myself (puny station).  I can work about 30/hour tuning around, or 40/hour by CQing.  And CQing is less stress.  Which would you choose?

Besides, by CQing, you are guaranteed at least 1 QSO on every band - AA5AU will find you!

73 - Jim AD1C

p.s. if I call you in RTTY WPX, tell me to go CQ instead  :-)