[RTTY] External DSP devices

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 30 17:34:23 EST 2006

Bob is correct on this one.  An external DSP audio filter is not going to help
you.  I use the JPS NIR-12 (no longer available) on both radios and the only
thing it does is make the audio sound nice to my ears (and maybe the sound
card).  I would probably decode just as well without them.

I did want to make one comment on the Kenwood TS-570.  I used one as a second
radio in a CQWW RTTY contest a few years ago and the 250 hz filter did not work
well at all.  Nearby stations killed the AGC and made it nearly impossible to
copy weak signals.  The Kenwood TS-870 does not have this problem and has
excellent filters.

But nothing I've used so far compares to the Icom IC-756PRO III.  This appears
to be the ultimate, affordable, RTTY radio with it's Twin Passband Filter.

I hope to put all three of my TS-870 radios up for sale in the foreseeable
future so I can purchase a second (and possible 3rd) PRO III.  I still love the
'870 and it is my main radio on 10, 20 and 80 meters in RTTY contests, but I
really want a band scope on both radios.

73, Don AA5AU