[RTTY] BARTG Sprint KI5XP(@W5WMU) Single Op HP

Charles Morrison cfmorris at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 30 01:24:10 EST 2006

 	 QSOs
80m: 	204
40m:	333
20m:	477
15m:	94
10m:	0
Total:	1108
Continents:		6
Call Areas:		25
DXCC:		68
Total multipliers:	93
Score:		618,264

What a nice contest.  Its a shame that the high bands never really came
around.
There's a lot of extra time on hand when everything goes quiet.  Its funny
to hear the mass migration from one band to the other when it dies.  One
second it seemed there were plenty of people on 80 and the next, it was
K4GMH, AA5AU, WW4LL, and myself and that seemed like it was it.

It was nice to work ZL2AMI.  I gave him a welcome back message and im glad
to see him back.  Not for the mult, but just to have a ham brother trying to
get things back to normal.

I know this is a British contest, but I sure seemed to work a lot of 007's.
No pun intended, I truly received a lot of serial number 007's!

Things went as planned other then the late start.  Started 20 and 40,
switched to 20/15, and then back to 40 when 15 died.  As 20 started duping
out, I moved that radio to 80.  40 is usually my hoss band, but 20 proved to
pull the most q's.  I think I parked at 14.082 and held a run for somewhere
near 6 hours.  It would come and go, but with no more then 2 or 3 cq's
between times, it was hard to leave the frequency.  What a fun run!

40 pulled in some really nice DX.  I was quite surprised for JY4NE.  I asked
for a repeate to make sure I had the call correct.  Thats a new one on RTTY
for me, he'll be getting a card.  ZS6WN was also really loud on 40 at
10:00pm local time.  The JA runs started around 2:00am local, which is their
sunset time, so that went pretty well as planned.  I was disappointed that
it wasnt a "flood"
though.  Chasing Mike all night, I figured a NW run of Asia would be the
only way I'd catch him.  The weather here was not very pleasant, and kept
waiting each time I'd hear the swoosh of the rain for the lights to go out.
Mentioned that to Don, and he said it was time for me to go to bed.

I know that not everyone who works contests reads the reflectors, but I
guess we need to help the new guys along in other ways.  I'll admit that
during a contest, I try to be all business, but the timeouts to give someone
suggestions always worries me that they'll think, "whos this guy to tell me
what to do".
Well, a suggestion that I kept making all night was mentioned in the
reflector.
Unless you're one heck of a big-gun station, sending your serial number 1
time on 80m rtty with a 100watt station and a dipole aint gonna cut it,
period.  You could pick out the more experienced ops, when you ask for a
repeat, a different macro was sent, with ONLY the serial number, thats a
great heads up!

Ironbutt award has to go to 8P2K, who I heard calling cq on 20 meters, ALL
NIGHT LONG, way after the band had closed, but he stuck it out.

Got a couple of 4 banders, but nothing on 10.  I looked back at scores from
3 and 4 years ago, with guys like Don, not even working 40 and 80 and still
having scores like we do today, racking up q's on 10, 15 and 20.  Maybe
someday I'll get to see what that's like.

Multiplier Summary
Countries
4X     5U     6W     8P     9A     A4     CM     CN     CT     DL
DU     EA     EA8    ER     ES     F      G      GI     GM     GU
GW     HA     HB     HK     HR     I      JA     JY     K      KH6
KL     KP4    LU     LX     LY     LZ     OH     OK     OM     ON
PA     PY     S5     SM     SP     SV     SV9    T9     TA     TF
TK     TR     UA     UA9    UR     VE     VK     VR     XE     YB
YL     YO     YU     YV     Z3     ZC4    ZL     ZS

Call Areas
K0   K1   K2   K3   K4   K5   K6   K7   K8   K9
VK6
VE1  VE2  VE3  VE4  VE6  VE7  VE9
JA1  JA2  JA3  JA4  JA6  JA7  JA8

73