[RTTY] Not to beat the ANTENNA OVERKILL horse...

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 20 14:05:16 EDT 2006

Sorry, but there is no way to level the playing field.  Even when they
try to level it, as in WRTC, some stations are better than others.

If you can't win the contest and it bothers you, either don't operate,
or better yet, compete against yourself or a group of self-chosen peers.

For all you SO1R whiners, it's not the second radio or the big antennas
that makes you lose, it's the operator.  If K3MM, KI5XP or AA5AU (please
don't be insulted if you're a big gun and I left you out, hi) ran 1
radio with tribander, or perhaps even dipoles, he would still beat you.

And last, grow up.  You should know by now life isn't always fair.

73,
Barry W2UP

Dick Stein wrote:
> Jerry,
> Ditto! For sure this is getting out of hand. There is no way I can
> compete with super antenna stations running the same amount of power.
> New classifications leveling the playing field need to be created.
> Dick
> K2ZR
> 650' Center Fed Wire & 425' End Fed Inverted "L" both at 40' to 50'
>
> Jerry Flanders wrote:
>

>> HEY, GUYS - BIG ANTENNAS ARE KILLING COMPETITION! Maybe I have a
>> chemical imbalance, but I am a bit miffed at the NAQP RTTY scores. I
>> looked at the 3830 posted scores that finished above mine in NAQP
>> RTTY and noticed the many entries FROM GUYS USING TOWERS AND BEAMS.
>>
>> My score, if the stations USING TOWERS AND BEAMS are removed, jumps
>> UP. These stations may well have kicked my butt as BECAUSE OF THEIR
>> BETTER ANTENNAS, but I will never know for sure. That being said, I
>> do have respect for those that have the station and can effectively
>> handle an operation WITH THOSE BIG ANTENNAS.
>>
>> I think that it is time for the contest sponsors to take a closer
>> look at STATIONS USING MULTI-KILOBUCK ANTENNAS as a separate entry
>> class.  Entry classifications are to level the field for scoring and
>> this is not working.
>>
>> Jerry W4UK (with 30-50 ft high dipoles in pine trees)

Barry Kutner, W2UP
Newtown, PA