[RTTY] SO2R

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Fri Jul 21 23:17:01 EDT 2006

Joe,

I agree with you, everything else is not always equal. My point is a second
radio adds a significant (measurable) advantage to radiosport - in itself.
Here's what I mean...

What killer antenna system will give me a 40% scoring advantage? What legal
power amplifier will give me a 40% scoring advantage? What better (single)
receiver will give me a 40% scoring advantage?

None!

What is getting lost in the discussion is what the second radio *really*
provides. Multiplexing. None of the other tools you mention provide
multiplexing. SO2R is just like a duplex circuit which gives you more
capacity (in a unit of time) compared to a simplex circuit. It doesn't
matter what gauge the wires are, how long the wires are, or how high the
wires are, there's a basic, inherent advantage when using a duplex circuit.

But in radiosport, there's an additional ingredient... and that's operator
skill. If an operator doesn't have the skill to operate SO2R effectively,
the score could plummet instead of increase!

I understand creating dozens of classifications to satisfy every whim is not
the answer. On the other hand, how long would you stay interested in playing
golf when you knew *every* time you stepped on the course you would be
buying the beers after the game was over?

Dividing SO1R and SO2R into separate classifications is clear in my mind.
Subdividing all the other tools is not.

73 de Bob - K0RC