[RTTY] Be Careful What You Ask For ...

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 23 13:19:35 EDT 2006

Seems like some on here never miss a chance to gripe, well OK.
Go ahead add the new 'class' and see if that makes you happy.

At the end of day, what's the result going to be, really? Have
you thought this out past all the biased emotional expressions?

Be very careful what you ask for especially since most of the
moaning on here seems to be from those who have NOT tried
SO2R, yet they are claiming to now be experts on the method.

I can hear the WHINING now when some of those who have
the OPERATOR SKILL of doing SO2R decide to enter the new
"SO1R" category and then WIN the category, over and over.

What if AA5AU, W2UP, and so forth all decide, hey, what
the heck ... let's use just ONE radio for this contest to see.

Want to guess what the top ten SO1R listing will look like then?
Tell me again, what the purpose of the new SO1R category was?

Will everyone be "happy" then?  I think not.

I can see the forum posts already:
"It's not fair ... they belong in the SO2R class!"

Really? Why, they were using just ONE radio ... why can't they
enter any category they want too just like you and me?

Maybe, just maybe, then the light will go on as to it's not
the amount of gear ... it's the INDIVIDUAL OPERATOR
SKILL that makes the score happen ... <what a concept>

Hardware, be it one of this, two of that, or xxxx will never
make up for what INDIVIDUAL OPERATOR SKILL can
do with whatever they have before them to use.

"Obsessive point gatherers"? ... it's a CONTEST folks, not a
drive through the local community park on a Sunday afternoon.

It's COMPETITION, get it?

Nobody is "shutting out" average Joe or Jane from making as
many, or as few Q's as their operator skills will allow ...

And especially not even those evil SO2R operators ... some need
to think this out a bit more. As every extra QSO that a SO2R op
makes helps to also increase the score of the other station. True?

Have any of you thought that point out? That ops who have the
skill to run SO2R ... are actually INCREASING YOUR SCORE!

BTW, the posts of a few on a small Internet forum does not mean that
the majority of the competitive contest community wants SO1R.

So bring on the "new category" ... and be ready to whine when at
the end of the day ... not much may have changed.

Enjoy your afternoon, I'm going to go work on my antennas.

73 Billy AA4NU