[RTTY] Be Careful What You Ask For ...

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jul 24 12:07:28 EDT 2006

W6WRT writes:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 00:50:31 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >Multiple operator categories are fundamentally different than
> >single operator contesting ... there are more operators and more
> >transmitters all operating simultaneously.
>
> Not necessarily. Some contests have a multi-op single TX category.

So?  It's still multiple operators, that means more "seat time"
more time to do other things, someone else to handle all those
thing that some "mere mortals" can't do while they operate but
are necessary to a good score.

> >However, there is no fundamental difference between SO1R and SOmR.
> >In both cases all operations is conducted by one person with no
> >outside assistance and only one signal is transmitted at a time.
>
> Not so. There is a HUGE difference in listening time between one radio
> and two. The two radio guy can be looking for new stations and mults
> during the entire contest period, whereas the one radio guy can only
> to that when not transmitting. This is a major difference, and is the
> main reason people will go to the extra cost and trouble.

GET THS STRAIGHT - LISTENING TIME IS NOT WORKING ANY MORE STATIOINS!
What counts it the number of stations worked.  It maters NOT ONE BIT
IF I or any other station has 100 receivers and I can listen to them
ALL at the same time.  A Single Operator class is defined by a single
operator performing all the operating functions and having only one
signal on the air at a time - PERIOD!

If you change that you make a fundamental change in the foundation
of the single operator class.

> >Some of the new high end transceivers will make the SO1R vs. SOmR
> >debate moot.  When one radio contains two fully independent, high
> >performance receivers and the ability to instantly transmit on
> >either frequency, no objective definition will be able to say that
> >is *not* a SO1R station.
>
> Don't confuse the number of radios with the number of boxes.

No ... it is and always has been THE NUMBER OF OPERATORS and the
NUMBER OF SIMULTANEOUS TRANSMISSIONS - PERIOD!

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV