[RTTY] Be Careful What You Ask For ...

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Mon Jul 24 17:30:13 EDT 2006

K0RC wrote:

> I think I understand the discrepancy now... Joe, you live in
> a 3 dimensional world where "time" means nothing.  Everyone
> else operates in 4 dimensions. You keep negating the advantage
> of "time" and blur the discussion with "equipment".

You are absolutely wrong ... time does not enter into the issue
at all.  Every operator has the same 12, 24, or 48 hours as
defined by the contest.  Time is simply another way of saying
"efficiency" ...

If you want to start basing entry classes on "time" are you going
to have a separate class for operators with 2X3 calls?  After all
they have a built-in penalty of 50% in the TIME it takes to send
their call ... if one gave VE3ESH a 50% handicap for his long call,
he would have beat you according to the 3830 listings.

If SO2R is such an overwhelming advantage, how did you score ahead
of K4GMH?

No single operator station whether SO1R or SO10R ever maxes out
the potential rate ... not compared to the rates achieved by DX
stations in contests.

Time/efficiency/whatever you want to call it is simply one more
factory for a single operator station to optimize in his quest
for the best possible score.  Better antennas mean less waiting
for a multiplier, no-tune transmitters eliminated the time it
took to make band changes.  Better receivers/DSP means less time
lost asking for repeats, a second receiver means that one does
not lose time checking to see if 10 meters is open or if 80
meters is too noisy ...

An operator may choose to optimize time, optimize the antenna
system, optimize the ease of controlling his station, optimize
the use of "off time" in contests that require it.  Every one
of those is a choice, a trade off, a tool to achieve the best
possible score.  None of them violate any rules and should not
be the basis for discriminating among operators.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV