[RTTY] How to handle a pileup on RTTY

David Hachadorian k6ll at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 25 12:04:09 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "KH6GMP" <kh6gmp at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <rtty at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:22 PM
Subject: [RTTY] How to handle a pileup on RTTY

> It was suggested here to "change the subject" and quit
> this bickering
> about SO2R etc.   Here I go, "how to handle a pileup"????
> There are a
> lot of great rtty contesters on here and Id like to get
> some opinions on
> how to handle an rtty pileup.  I dont get them often but
> when I do its
> frustrating. I guess when I do get one its because the
> band condx became
> supergood or maybe I got spotted and KH6 is a wanted
> multiplier.
> Anyway, suddenly I get anywhere from 2 to who knows how
> many callers
> responding to my CQ.  All right exactly on same frequency,
> cant copy any
> of them.  If I do a 'qrz?'  or 'agn?',  the same ones call
> with the same
> result, cant copy any call or even a portion of a call.
> What I do is
> just keep waiting for the one with the most patience who
> outlasts the
> rest and is finally alone and I go back to him.   Im
> wondering if there
> isnt a better way.   Any comments???
>
> ALOHA de Gary KH6GMP

As far as I know, there is only one elegant solution to this
problem: Use Writelog, enable AA5AU's database of active
RTTY callsigns
http://www.rttycontesting.com/downloads/downloads.htm ,
disable Writelog's "scan for DE."

Writelog will then continuously scan the copied text until
it finds a callsign in the database. It will then highlight
the call for you, and you can click on it. For example, if
the pileup comes back with FDR8EK7WM6CVDF
Writelog will highlight K7WM for you. If you don't disable
DE scanning, the first guy to answer you might start off
with a DE, in which case the entire FDR8EK7WM6CVDF will be
highlighted, which won't do you any good.

If you are a serious rtty person, this one feature is worth
the price of Writelog.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.