[RTTY] 250 hz filter on RTTY

pcooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Tue May 23 05:35:37 EDT 2006

Hi Rick and the group,

I am sure you will find the 250Hz filter just fine, and maybe even a little wide at times.

OK, I know the filtering on a 756Pro is a little different, but I frequently set my filters down to 100Hz. Whilst that may seem very narrow, I don't use the built in RTTY filters, as I prefer to change mine according to needs at the time.
The filtering in this way is a little SSB-like, in that the skirts flare out enough to give copy on a RTTY signal when set to 100Hz.
It will even cope with those signals that are slightly wider than usual, but you do have to tune in the signal very accurately.

So, I am sure you will find 250Hz just fine!
It may also pay you to look out for one of the external audio filters that sit between the rig and the soundcard. These can clean up a lot of hash, and make copy a little more reliable.

Cheers for now

Phil GU0SUP