[RTTY] 250 hz filter on RTTY

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Tue May 23 16:08:10 EDT 2006

I guess it depends how steep the skirts are on your filters.  I almost
never use my 250 Hz filter on RTTY.  My FT-1000D has a 500 also, and
that's what I mostly use.  Enough guys call off frequency necessitating
use of the RIT, which is a hassle in a contest, especially when using a
second radio.
73,
Barry W2UP

Shelby Summerville wrote:
> Rick Mintz wrote: " those that have a 250 Hz filter.... Have you found this
> to be to narrow for RTTY contesting?"
>
> I use, almost exclusively, the 250Hz filter, in my TS-870. They seem to work
> fine, especially in crowded band conditions. I also find it necessary to
> keep the RIT on, as frequently some will be outside the 250Hz, but I'm
> usually able to tune them in, without requiring a repeat. IMHO, that is the
> main reason for sending the call sign, more than once, when calling a CQing
> station?
>
> C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW

Barry Kutner, W2UP
Newtown, PA