[RTTY] GU0SUP WAEDC RTTY (SOABLP)

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Mon Nov 13 13:51:43 EST 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Phil Cooper wrote:

> each time I called someone, all I got was AGN?? AGN??

Yeah, FSK is pretty much that way.  If you look at the bit error rate
curves, a 6 dB difference in signal to noise ratio can make a signal
go from pristine printing to something that is completely garbled.

To the majority, you were probably just on the "good" side of the BER
curve when the band conditions were better and fell to the bad side
when conditions got worse.

When you live on the hairy edge (like me), band conditions matter
more than it does to the guys with the heavier equipment.  They are
normally operating well past the good side of the detection
threshold.  As the band conditions deteriorate, they are still over
the detection threshold.  At some point, they can only hear one
another. :-)

If you look at the Mercury Transit pictures from last Wednesday, you
will see a pretty large sunspot rotating into view.  That may have
contributed to the K index going over 4 on Saturday:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html

73
Chen, W7AY