[RTTY] SO2R, small lot?

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 1 15:37:10 EDT 2006

Bill Coleman wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2006, at 12:46 AM, Chris wrote:
>

>> If quality filters (and or stubs) are used, what have others
>> experienced as minimum speration distance of a beam at 40ft and a
>> vertical for SO2R operating at or near 100w?
>>

> Sorry to reply to an old thread.
>
> I don't know about 40 feet, but I've been successful at running a
> limited SO2R on phone with a tribander and vertical separated by 120
> feet with NO filters at all and 100 watts.
>
> Of course, you'll hear noise if you get near the second harmonic of
> the transmitting rig (although that doesn't happen so often with phone).
>
> It would probably go better with some filters. I've see designs on
> the web for coaxial stubs, which seems like they would work well.
>
> At 40 feet, you're going to get 9 times more bleedthrough than I have
> at 120 feet, so you are at higher risk for fundamental overload.
>
> I've also used an 80m doublet that has one leg anchored to the tower
> that holds the tribander.
>
> Bottom line: this can work, you'll have to try it and see.
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
>              -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

I run 1 tower SO2R.  With stubs and bandpass filters 100 W is no problem
at all.  I usually run high power and only have problems with 2nd
harmonics +/- 10-15 KHz.

I used a vertical for the second radio initially and replaced it with a
TH7 at 25 ft.  The difference was 5-6 S units!  Verticals suck, big-time!

Barry W2UP

--

Barry Kutner, W2UP
Newtown, PA