[RTTY] Answering CQ's

Dick Kriss aa5vu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 1 21:01:10 EDT 2006

> From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why at verizon.net>
> Subject: [RTTY] Answering CQ's
>
> OK, what is the consensus on answering CQ's?
>
> Do we:
>
> 1.  Put the guys call in first, then our call twice?
> 2.  Don't put the other guys call in at all and just send our call?

Both..... I have two S&P macros and if the band is not all that cluttered I
use #2 mycall two times with no DE or trailing K.  This works most of the
time and is my default.

If conditions are not all that great or there seems to be a big pile up, I
use the other macro with #1 separated with a DE and no K at the end.  This
lets him tune on the end of his call and the DE and he has a better chance
of copying my call correct (rather than guessing it is AA5AU and responding
with the HI Don from his friends.txt file).

If I am on in CQ mode, I prefer responders to use #1.  It lets me know for
sure he is responding to my CQ gives me time to select his call for the DUPE
checker to do its thing.

What I object to is the caller that respond to my report with the exchange
without a my call or his call.  I have to guess at who sent the report and
sometimes send their call and AGN PSE.  Several were doing this during the
CQWW RTTY contest.

73, Dick AA5VU