[RTTY] RTTY Screwed by FCC?

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Oct 13 19:14:39 EDT 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 11:18 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> The FCC's Omnibus action has a couple nasty surprises
> for RTTY activity in the US.
>
> 1) RTTY (digital) is no longer permitted above 3600

I figured this out late last night. Extending Voice transmissions
down to 3600 seemed like a good thing until I realized that there's a
lot of traditional RTTY activity that takes place between 3600 and
3650 or so. All of that will have to move down below 3600.

I'm not sure the FCC considered this ramification when they made the
ruling.

> 2) RTTY (digital) is no longer permitted between 7075 and 7100

I don't see this implication in the R & O. It's no longer permitted
between 7125 and 7150.

The allocation for Phone (and Image) between 7075 and 7100 is subject
to paragraph 11, which reads:
"(11) Phone and image emissions may be transmitted only by stations
located in ITU Regions 1 and 3, and by stations located within ITU
Region 2 that are west of 130° West longitude or south of 20° North
latitude."

Oh, but I see what you mean, there seems to be a typographical error
in this.

> This may not effect the contesters but it will most certainly
> effect domestic RTTY activity.  Any comments?

There's probably enough bandwidth in the lower part of 80m for all
the CW and RTTY operation, even during a heavy contest, since RTTY
isn't heavily favored on 80m due to all the multipath symbol
interference.

All the Region 1 and 3 regulations on 40m are interesting though,
because, effective in 2009, the amateur exclusive allocation will
increase to 7000-7200 kHz. The FCC will likely have to amend these
regulations when that time comes.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901