[RTTY] ZL8R and RTTY

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Tue Oct 17 20:47:35 EDT 2006

On Oct 17, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Bill Coleman wrote:
> I worked them easily at 2335z on Monday on 15m. Didn't even take that
> many calls. I think 4 and 5-land had a pipeline into this area of the
> world, though.

It was moderately tough for my humble station (low power, vertical
antenna, Pacific Northwest).  I made a QSO at about the same time
Bill did -- the rest of the NA pile had thinned out considerably from
here by then.  But, an hour or two later I still found a handful of
RTTY "regulars" around here trying to make a contact.

That said, their SNR was very decent over here -- with my vertical
antenna, their carriers were peaking 15 dB above the noise floor and
improved to 20 dB a little later on.  By 0200z,  I saw strings of W6
and W7 calls finally making it through -- either the pileline had
moved west or the workaholics have returned from the office :-).

My ZL8RI RTTY contacts back in 1996 were made from California.  Back
then, I'd made it through with RTTY on 15m and 40m with just an 8
foot whip on an apartment balcony.

73
Chen, W7AY