[RTTY] ZL8R and RTTY

dsthill dsthill at cbcbarbados.bb
Tue Oct 17 21:23:06 EDT 2006

Interesting propagation from ZL8R.

I managed to snag them around 04:40Hrs UTC. Normally I would have bet that
15m was absolutely closed. I had worked them about 45 minutes earlier on 20m
SSB and the op's rates were so poor I asked if they were still on RTTY.

After asking my to QRX, he went off for over 2 minutes and then, I heard a
little rtty squeak on the 2nd rig which was tuned to 21.097MHz. The op came
back and told me they were still on, and then I started copying them calling
CQ with no takers.

One call and they came back. I was amazed!!! What was also interesting is
the fact that I used my 400Hz filters rather than the for me standard 250Hz
filters. On the 250Hz filters I could not copy them at all.

The challenge here was that to use the 400Hz filters, I had to go into the
menu of the FT1000mp.

I used about 500W for the QSO and ZL8R never moved the S-meter, even though
he was perfect copy at my location. I never once heard any of the stations
he was in QSO with, but there were JA's, EU's and a few NA's and PY's for
good measure. He was still printing nearly an hour later. Strange
propagation.

Of course that fits into my theory that there is a special propagation mode
that occurs when you have a rare DX station on.

Look forward to putting more voices to my rtty friends in the upcoming CQWW
SSB. I'll be SOSB - 20m.

Regards,

Dean - 8P6SH / 8P2K in the 'tests