[RTTY] ZL8R

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 19 19:20:10 EDT 2006

The ZL8R RTTY operation was a perfect example of what happens when the DX doesn't put the callsign of the station they are working
at the end of the exchange.  I watched them on 15 for several hours and the operation was slowed by repeats.

As everyone knows, what happens is that if you call and the DX doesn't come back, you call again.  If the DX comes back while you
are calling again you miss the callsign at the beginning of the exchange.  If the DX doesn't put the callsign of the station he is
working at the end, we have no idea who he is working.

I saw a W3 station ask them to put the callsign at the end and they came back with "its better with short exchanges" or something to
that effect.  This is not true.  They could have dropped one of the 599 reports (they were sending 599 twice) and put the callsign
of the station they were working at the end.  This would have sped up things considerably.  I did see on at least two occasions
where they did actually send the callsign of the station they were working at the end of the exchange, each time after a short
break, so they had that buffer available but rarely used it.

On the other hand, the XF4 crew was sometimes slow in coming back with a confirmation today on 17 RTTY, but their rate was much
better than the ZL8 rate.

Can't wait for VU7!

73, Don AA5AU