[RTTY] YU6AO

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Oct 19 19:42:33 EDT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Dick White wrote:

> To all those who worked ZL8R on RTTY, my congratulations. But,
> remember,
> some of us did not get a QSO.

Sorry to hear that.

> I think it was operator error in not working
> them right. Or, maybe my 75 watts was not up to getting through
> the  500
> watts and KW's that were also trying to work them.

RTTY is a really tough mode for busting pileups. The capture effect
of the decoders, and the lengthy, continuous nature of the
transmissions really makes it hard to bust through. On phone or CW,
it's generally possible to time a call just right to get through.
With RTTY, it's tougher because you can't really tell what others in
a pack are sending.

Having just a little bit of power does help. I bought an amp last
summer from an estate of one of my contest club members. His widow
told me he only used it for contests and DXing. It takes less time to
break a pileup with power.

> I have always thought
> that if I can hear them, I can work them.

Not always. I've spent too many weekends at NQ4I's place for this to
be true. Numerous times I've entered into the fray in a contest armed
with great antennas and full legal power. The DX will be S9+20, but
he can't hear you. You can call and call and call, but the DX can't
hear you. Conditions have to be right. If you are S8 on his end, and
dozens of others are S9+10, he'll never hear you.

> Didn't work this time. I am
> pleased that I had the opportunity to try and work them. Sorry to
> not add a
> new DX country to my RTTY log.

I managed to work them on RTTY on 15m -- which was probably the best
band to work ZL8 from Georgia. Surprised me when I got through!

Hopefully, you'll work the next expedition.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901