[RTTY] diddle

Gary McAdams g.m.mcadams at comcast.net
Sun Oct 29 21:49:28 EST 2006

Rich,

The "diddle" is produced not by the radio itself, but by the mechanism
driving it.

In the absence of a driving signal, most rigs put out a single tone when in
the RTTY position. Only when modulated by an outside source will the tone
shift, producing the characteristic "diddle" tone.

Some software/hardware packages produce the tone as a marker when there is
no actual data to transmit. If you want the alternating tones, then look in
your software or hardware manual to see if that is supported.

Most rigs will not support it, I think... But, I could be wrong!

CUL es 73 Gary WG7X