[RTTY] N8S changing software

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 n6tqs at arrl.net
Tue Apr 17 04:03:40 EDT 2007

What you saw was one computer, one radio, one antenna, two different
preferences for software (and one of them got used in two very
different ways), all for RTTY- three operators.

MMTTY-FSK, MixW-AFSK, MixW-FSK.

We had a second radio, which we used for RTTY often (but CW and SSB
too, as well as EME and 6M), a 30-17-12 beam
and a 20-15-10 beam, as well as verticals for 40 and 80.

After a few days the CW camp was moved closer to us, due to truly
excessive mosquitos and heat in the original location, and then there
were band-sharing limitations with them.  We also had no WARC bandpass
filters, since they were all in the stolen luggage.

We also lost a computer after a week, due to water in the keyboard, but
got all the logs off it.

73, doug

    From: Bill Turner <dezrat at copper.net>
    Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:55:27 -0700

    Did anyone notice that N8S changes stations and/or software sometime
    around 0900z on 30 meters? They had been having a long mark tail on
    their transmissions and all of a sudden it was gone and the operating
    style changed a bit too. This would seem to imply they have the
    capability of two bands at once on RTTY if they so desire.

    The things you notice at 2am...   :-)

    Bill W6WRT
    12 band-mode Q's with N8S, looking for a few more