[RTTY] WPX RTTY

Dick Thompson w0raa at w0raa.com
Tue Feb 6 18:34:06 EST 2007

Good advice, Paolo.

Also, as an added thought, when a station sends a report, the 599 is only
needed once, not 2 or 3 times.  The 599 is a "given".  Send the sequential
number 2 times, minimum.  If the receiving station needs a repeat they will
normally ask for it.

Do not ask for a Confirmation and a repeat of what you sent the station you
worked.  A QSL or TU from the receiving station is sufficient to let you
know he got it and has logged it.

Don't call CQ over and over and if you are in Run mode, allow a station time
to answer your call.  I have heard stations (we all have, I'm sure) who send
their calls in a CQ and then allow a 1 second or 2 second spacing between
CQ's.  Give a station time to answer your call.  If you hear a station give
just their call and not your call, assume that he/she is calling you if
you're the one calling CQ.  If you go back to them with just your call and
they don't come right back, assume that somebody was a tad stronger and got
their attention. So wait until they are done and try once more.  Don't spend
a lot of time trying for a contact.  You can come back to the frequency
later if you enter it in the bandmap and get him when things have slowed
down a bit.

Please, no need for a "Hi Dick" or "Hi John", etc.  That's OK in a rag chew,
but totally not necessary in a contest.  Also, please do not put any
characters between the numbers.  If you send, for example, "W0RAA 599
001-001", that's fine.  Just eliminate the "-" between the numbers.  Most of
us know what you're sending and if we need a repeat we will say "Agn Agn"
and wait for you to send the number again.  Or, if you're not setup to send
just the number, send the RST & 001 001 again.  This will save you and the
other station a lot of time.  Also, in the WPX your S/P/C is not necessary.
Just RST xxx xxx.

If you know the station that is calling you, do us all a favor and dispense
with the amenities.  Just give him/her a report and number and get on with
the contest.  When calling CQ, keep it short.  A "CQ WPX DE CALLSIGN CQ" is
adequate.  No K (or BK) is needed at the end, and also, no K (or BK) is
needed after you send a report or ACK a report.  When the other station
hears your transmission drop out, they will know it's their turn to send you
a report or TU QRZ and move on to the next caller.  Don Hill's web site
(AA5AU.COM) offers suggestions for macros.  Don has won every major contest
there is, so his advise should be heeded.

I offer these suggestion for those that are new to contesting and perhaps
might want a hint or two to increase their chances of a better score.
Please don't take offense.  I'm sure there are other who would agree with
what I've said and I appreciate Paolo offering his good advise, also.

73 & CU in the WPX.

Dick
W0RAA