[RTTY] 1st attempts

Ian GM4KLN gm4kln at cairn-ltd.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 17:50:02 EST 2007

Hi folks

Just had a good time for a few hours on my first ever RTTY WPX - lots of fun
and a nice bunch of folk.

Frustrated by having only 25w and a 20m mobile whip antenna, but still
managed a few QSOs. Logger32 using MMVARI with its 3 decode windows
performed great, driving my TS440 in AFSK. No stunning DX here with this
setup, but always nice to get any new ones on a new mode. If only everyone
ran <50w I might be in with a chance :-)

Also prompted me to subscribe to the reflector to learn a lot more about it
all...having been a CW op since '78 and PSK more recently.

I too noticed the "spotting abuse" in previous threads, and it occurred a
lot more than coincidence or accident would explain - often I went searching
for the said "DX" spotted, only to find - surprise surprise - the "spotter"
calling CQ. A neat way of self-spotting, but can't say I'm in favour.

Interested in the comments about the CR/LF in overs - I'm sure I'm not alone
in wondering if there is a "recommended" format/structure etc. - I
personally include CRLF at the start and end of each chunk of data but seems
there may be a better way, as I sometimes felt as if the other station had
doubled with me having thought I'd finished TX - albeit without a TU or BK
or K etc. Would be interested in consensus opinion here.

Looking forward to the next contest - hopefully with a better antenna too to
work a few more next time round.

73, Ian GM4KLN
Inverness
www.rsq-info.net