[RTTY] 160

Alan Burgstahler alan-ham at comcast.net
Thu Feb 22 09:54:46 EST 2007

I'm not about to put up a dipole 130 feet in a tree, although we probably
have a few that high.  Here's what I did.

I have an 80-meter inverted-vee with the center up 50-feet in a fir tree at
the edge of our property.  Actually, it's on the neighbor's side of the
fence, with a good portion leaning over on our side of the fence.  The coax
comes down the tree trunk and then snakes along the ground to the garage,
where my ham shack is.  When I put it up I put a coax connector at the
bottom of the tree.  It connects to the coax to the garage with a barrel
connector, normally.

When I wanted to operate a 160-meter contest, I took my antenna tuner out to
the bottom of the tree.  There I disconnect the barrel and connect the coax
from the garage to the input of the tuner.  On the "long wire" output of the
tuner I have dangling (with #12 wire----stiff) an SO-239 connector with its
center and shield sides shorted together.  I connect the coax coming down
the tree trunk to it.  I also have laid two #12 wires 125-feet long along
the fence line, and connect those to the ground on the antenna tuner.  (Yes,
I'd like to lay out more radials but just haven't had the time, along with
having to be careful about the now-landscaped back yard.)  What I have done
is make the 80-meter inverted-vee into a top-loaded vertical, which goes up
50-feet high.  Just yesterday I finished a home-built antenna tuner with
relays that I can operate from the shack so I don't have to go out to the
bottom of the tree and insert the tuner.  Now it's just a switch flip from
the shack. Should be good on those cold winter nights, especially when it's
raining (whoever heard of rain in Seattle?).

How does it work?  Well, pretty well, considering what it is.  It loads up
just fine either barefoot on the FT-920 or with the TL922A amplifier.  Last
night I heard two Swedish stations very weakly, but didn't get either of
them.  They were right at the noise level and QSB went up and down and
sometimes I couldn't hear them at all.  That's the longest I've heard, and
the propagation to Europe from the Seattle area is much different than from
the east coast of the U.S., on all bands.  In the 2006 CQWW 160 CW contest I
worked Hawaii (2600 miles, about like working the east coast from here),
Alaska, Japan, Netherlands Antilles (PJ2T).  In the 2006 ARRL 160 CW contest
I worked Japan, Virgin Islands, Asiatic Russia, Alaska, and PJ2T again.
I've worked all over the US (although the northeast seems to be a little
harder for some reason) and most of Canada.

All in all, it sure beats not being able to get anything going on 160.  It
may not be a dedicated 160-meter antenna but it sure works for me.  More
radials will undoubtedly help, and a better receiving antenna would also,
although a Beverage Antenna is out because of lack of land space.

I hope this gives someone an idea of how they can make their antenna system
work on 160 mtrs.

Alan - N7BF