[RTTY] 160

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Feb 22 10:48:01 EST 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 5:48 AM, Shelby Summerville wrote:

> Point, well taken. I had, previously, given this some thought, as both
> CW/SSB NAQP allow contacts, on 160. I do have some concerns, but I
> will
> discuss this, in more detail, with NCJ Editor, K9LA, at Dayton, and
> post the
> results of our discussion. Sorry for not getting an answer, sooner,
> but I
> prefer to discuss "important stuff", in person, not on the phone,
> or email!

I realise this is somewhat contentious.

However, one point. At the current sunspot low, with the MUFs about
as low as they get, the multipath distortion present on 160m will be
at its minimum. Although QRN will still be a problem, this would make
45 baud RTTY the most practical on 160m. That won't be true in 3-4
years.

Then again, 10m was virtually useless to NAQP operators the last
couple of years....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901